Turkey Chili is a protein-intense entrée that is easy to prepare, cooks with no supervision (hello, crock pot!) and rewards your efforts with a super tasty payoff! It’s great for meal prepping and freezes well.
Don’t be scared off by the long ingredients list–most of the items are spices and take very little effort to add. I know you’ll be surprised by the cinnamon and the allspice, as they are not traditional chili ingredients. But give them a try–their flavor will be subtle but interesting and delicious!
Recipe inspired by one from Allrecipes
- 2 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 large yellow or white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8-12 oz white button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tbs water
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 1 tbs cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth, chicken broth or water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- Colby or Pepper Jack cheese, grated (optional)
- 2% Fage Greek yogurt (optional)
- chopped jalapeno peppers (optional)
- In a large nonstick pan, brown the ground turkey, onions, garlic, mushrooms, green pepper and water. As the mixture is cooking, stir in the Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt black pepper, crushed red pepper, allspice, and cinnamon. Add another tablespoon or so of water if the mixture starts to stick to the pan.
- When meat is no longer pink, spoon the turkey mix into a 4-6 qt. slow cooker.
- Add the broth, tomato paste, diced tomatoes and bay leaves to the slow cooker. Stir well. Place the slow cooker lid askew so that steam can escape. Cook for 3 hours on High OR 4 hours on Low.
- Serve the Turkey Chili over cauliflower rice and garnish with grated cheese, yogurt and jalapeno peppers (all optional).
Notes: Instead of cauliflower rice, serve the Turkey Chili over spaghetti squash noodles for a low-carb riff on Cincinnati Chili!
Joe Carabase is a fitness expert, lecturer, entrepreneur, and the author of
Get UnStuck Today: The 90 Day Journal To Get Out Of Your Head & Into A Better Body