Chicken and Bok Choy is no ordinary stir-fry! It features a tangy sauce that provides a delicious contrast to the sweetness of the bok choy. The recipe cooks up fast so it makes a great weeknight meal. It keeps well in the refrigerator and is a tasty choice for meal prep.
Chicken and Bok Choy
Recipe inspired by various internet recipes
Makes 4 servings
- 3 medium chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
- 2 tbs cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium bok choy (both stalks and leaves)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil for stir-frying, as needed)
For the Sauce:
- 1/3 cup chicken or vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 2 tbs water
- 1-1/2 tsp unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tbs rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 1 tbs dark or toasted sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 1-inch piece of ginger, zested
- 3 green onions, both white and green parts diced
- toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- 4 cups cauliflower rice, cooked
Cut the chicken into thin strips about 2-inches long. Place the strips in a large zippered plastic bag or a lidded container. Add the cornstarch and the pepper, and shake well until chicken is coated. Place chicken in the refrigerator until needed.
While the chicken is resting, prepare the bok choy and the sauce.
— Separate the bok choy leaves and stalks, and cut both cross-wise into thin strips.
— Combine the sauce ingredients and set aside.
Heat a large nonstick pan or wok to medium-high heat and add 1 tbs oil. When the oil is ready, add the chicken and stir-fry until it turns white and is nearly cooked. Remove the chicken to a large bowl. Stir-fry chicken in two batches if necessary.
Wipe out the pan and add 1 tbs oil and return pan to medium-high heat. When oil is ready, add the bok choy stalks. Stir-fry for 1 minute; then add the leaves and stir fry until they are wilted
Push the bok choy to the sides of the pan, Pour the sauce in the middle, then stir it quickly to thicken.
Add the chicken back to the pan. Mix thoroughly. Serve hot over cauliflower rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional).
Joe Carabase is a fitness expert, lecturer, entrepreneur, and the author of
Get UnStuck Today: The 90 Day Journal To Get Out Of Your Head & Into A Better Body