Sweet & Sour Cucumber Salad is a fresh take on an old favorite. Instead of serving cucumbers just as a snack or as a salad component, why not feature them as a star side dish? This salad has distinct Asian influence, with rice vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil. But it will complement just about any meal you serve it alongside. It’s fresh and light, with hints of sweet, salty, and nutty flavors. Grab a couple of English cucumbers (they work best) next time you’re at the store and give this recipe a try!
Sweet & Sour Cucumber Salad
Recipe inspired by one from Kary Osmond
Makes 4 servings
- 1-2 English cucumbers
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp brown sugar or equivalent substitute, such as Swerve Brown Sugar or Truvia Brown Sugar Blend
- 1 tbs rice vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- chili oil, as desired (optional)
- Split the cucumber in half lengthwise and cut into 1/4 diagonal slices. Place the sliced cucumber in a colander over a bowl, sprinkle with salt and toss. Let stand for 15 minutes to release liquid from the cucumbers
- In a medium serving bowl, whisk together sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and garlic until sugar has dissolved. Add in the drained cucumbers and toss well. Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped cilantro.
- If you want the Sweet and Sour Cucumber Salad to have a spicy little kick, add a few drops of chili oil to the finished salad and toss to blend.